One constant in the 240 year history of our country is that people elect morons to Congress. Well, not all of them are morons, but certainly the ones who still think Obama was born in Kenya and the Blue Dog Democrats. The Blue Dog Democrats formed in 1995 under the leadership of Louisiana Congressman Billy Tauzin, who promptly switched parties and embraced the Republicans. His fellow Blue Dogs remained Democrats and were rewarded in 2006 when the American people decided that maybe the Democrats should be running things.

Since 2006, the world has come crashing down around the Republicans. They lost the House, the Senate and the White House. Less people identify themselves as Republicans than since the Great Depression. And as we approach Great Depression: Next Generation, who do the Blue Dogs want to emulate? Mind-boggling.

Of course, there’s also the matter of the will of the people. A vast majority of Americans want Health Care reform. Here’s the latest proof of that, courtesy Gallup from a poll conducted on July 23rd:


Yep, an astounding 71 percent of Americans want a new health care reform bill passed. The other 29 percent work in the insurance business. Good job, Blue Dogs. You have shown the courage of your fiscal convictions, just like when you supported the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. Oops.

Hey, speaking of stupid, the story about the unconstitutional arrest of Henry Louis “Skip” Gates, Jr. for “breaking into” his home just will not go away, because the right wing nutballs have to talk about something. A lot of people on the right think that Officer Crowley had every right to arrest Gates for yelling at him. That all police officers, regardless of their behavior, deserve our full respect and cooperation, even when they are harassing us in our own homes. The argument is that police work is a tough job and we should give them some slack.

Uh-huh. You know another job that is pretty difficult? Harvard professor. Now I’m sure Officer Crowley can run a 15 minute mile, enforce parking codes and get 20 hours of overtime a week by arresting college kids for underage drinking, but can he teach Comparative Lit to our best and brightest? Probably not. Hope he enjoys his Bud Lime with the President.